Monday, July 7, 2008

A highly-recommended website!

Hey, guys!
While soldiering at work today, I somehow landed on the following website:
http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/guide/

It's called "Double-Tongued Dictionary." It’s basically a compilation of undocumented and underappreciated words. The site focuses on slang, jargon and new words. The blog posts under “Lexicographer’s Rules” are great. One post, from April 1st, 2008, entitled, “Saying it Wrong on Purpose,” really hit close to home. Although the post specifically focuses on words we intentionally pronounce incorrectly in our day to-day conversations (the post mentions “liberry,” “cowinkidink, etc.), I think the same can truly be applied to the way we approach the written word, too. Amy and I, and I’m sure plenty of others who are reading this post (if anyone is even reading it), have recently made a pastime out of deliberately spelling words wrong. “High” instead of “hi,” “chrue” instead of “true,” “kollege” instead of “college…” the list goes on. We do this, the post suggests, because it’s ironic, we enjoy making fun of ourselves (or rather, other people), and it’s just plain fun! The post is definitely interesting and informative. After reading it, I spent the rest of my idle time at work trying to come up with spoonerisms. Check out the post if: 1. you want to learn what a spoonerism is 2. you want to enrich your already-fab. understanding of linguistics 3. you want to make the world a better place
Hope everyone is having a fab. Summer! I miss you all!!!

-Kim Kirchenbaum (yes, I purposely spelled my last name wrong. Some people never seem to get it right…even after you pay them $130)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This post reminds me of that time I told my Yale roommates that I enjoy "klubbing" in the city in my spare time. I like how you actually stick a period after "fab" to denote that it's an abbrev. How kwaint and charming!